The first member started one year ago. But not all went according to plan for the Bergens Tidende (BT) team in Schibsted Tech Polska. After only some months the team leader and the senior developer left the company – and the rest of the team was left alone to do the work.
– Some colleagues in the company started saying we did not have enough work since the seniors had left. But that was simply not true, says software engineer Kamil Wolny.
So it was time to tell the real story, the remaining three team members concluded. – Many people just did not know what we were doing, adds Tomasz Kalfas.
See the Bergens Tidende team presentation here
The underdogs won
Bergens Tidende is the leading media house in the western Norwegian city Bergen. The media house established its own development team in Schibsted Tech Polska in February 2014.
With only three of five positions in place, the team was the underdogs in the competition for the 5000 PLN given to the STP Team of the Year.
In the presentation they make fun of colleagues who say they have nothing to do, emphasizing that “we are the team with no leader – we only deliver!”.
– It was time to make everything straight, says Kamil Wolny.
New team leader soon
A new team leader for the Bergens Tidende has been hired and will start in April. Until then the team consists of Kamil Wolny, Tomasz Kalfas and Jacek Żyła (on holiday when photos in this article were taken).
– It has really been fun to work for Bergens Tidende. They treat us like colleagues and not just a nearshoring company – and we have a really good time together when we meet in Krakow and Bergen, says Kamil Wolny and Tomasz Kalfas.
– Did you expect to win?
Of course! We always play to win!
Praise from Norway
Tor Olav Mørseth, VP Product Development in Bergens Tidende, congratulates his team with the award and says:
– Despite the difficulties the team has faced, they have continued to deliver great results. Almost as important as their techical skills: They are fun people to hang around, and we look forward to meeting again!
Tobias Næss, concept developer in Bergens Tidende also works closely with the Krakow team. He adds:
– Tomasz, Kamil and Jacek are a great team – and also imporant and good colleagues in the BT product department. I truly feel we are one team in two cities – and our STP colleagues have really put in the effort to make that happen. Since day one they have worked hard and delivered, even when they are well out of their comfort zone.
MORE ARTICLES FROM SCHIBSTED TECH POLSKA
- 5 projects that show what we do
- An easier way to let journalists test their headlines
- Getting ready to make the perfect music experience
- How to land a great job as programmer
- Created scaleable event engine for city guides
- Learned from Scandinavian mobile success stories
- Here is the Schibsted Tech Polska cake parade
- Here are five digital trends for the future
- Prestigious awards to “STP projects”
- Swedish media group new partner for STP
- Ten practical tips to young Java web developers
- Here are five presentations from our programmers
- Helping readers alert each other about traffic jams