Beyond the Code #05 – Try something new
Sometimes, as a software engineer, you need to quickly adapt & learn a new technology or framework. There are many ways of doing so, and we’re analyzing which of them work best.
In the fith episode of Beyond the Code – you can hear Kacper for the first. He had to face the challenge of learning brand new technologies in the short period of time. It was a similar case with Przemek – who might sound familiar to you, as he was already part of one of the episodes.
We’ve decided to check which of the ways of quick learning of new technologies work best. Studying documentation? Maybe just start and worry at the first obstacle. You have also other option – asking a team buddy, online course, workshops – endless possibilities, but not a lot of time to go through everything.
A quick reminder. The idea of Beyond the Code is simple. We would like to focus on different sets of skills that might be useful for software engineers, which are not coding/programming/prototyping, etc. You can expect new episodes, around 30 minutes long, every second Wednesday.
We’ve already published several episodes of our podcast – check them out if you still haven’t :). Please note that we’ve decided to run the podcast in Polish, although we are still planning to invite several foreign guests for episodes recorded in English.
Episode 5 – Try something new
By listening to this episode you will get answers to these questions:
- Why it is so hard to find an interesting online course for advanced software developers?
- How to effectively study documentation?
- Which of the books are worth reading & why you should often come back to them?
- 0:01:17 – Introduction – effective ways of learning new frameworks & technologies
- 0:02:39 – Where should we start? Maybe ask a team buddy?
- 0:07:46 – How to learn a brand new framework by studying its documentation?
- 0:12:14 – Jump into the deep water – learn on the go
- 0:17:17 – Refreshing general knowledge using worth reading books
- 0:20:30 – Online courses – only for newbies?
- 0:22:40 – Spend your weekend on learning new things
- 0:24:58 – Summing up
- Robert Fijałkowski
- Przemysław Potocki
- Kacper Sieradziński