Beyond the Code #09 – Is it worth studying IT?
Important decision for youngsters.
Students leaving high-schools are getting they final exam certificates and now are standing before an important decision – choosing the best University, degree course, the form of studying, etc. But have you ever thought is it worth studying IT/computer science with so many people working in the industry without this background?
Of course, usually there is no simple answer, and that’s the case here. We had a plan to look at this problem from different perspectives – from a person point of view who finished 5 years of studying IT and another who tried something completely different. Together we try to bust the most common myths & share our experiences.
A quick reminder. The idea of Beyond the Code is simple. We would like to focus on different sets of skills that might be useful for software engineers, which are not coding/programming/prototyping, etc. You can expect new episodes, around 30 minutes long, every second Wednesday.
We’ve already published several episodes of our podcast – check them out if you still haven’t :). Please note that we’ve decided to run the podcast in Polish, although we are still planning to invite several foreign guests for episodes recorded in English.
Episode 9 – Is it worth studying iT?
By listening to this episode you will get answers to these questions:
- what you can learn during computer science studies?
- Is it worth studying for full 5 years?
- Is it possible to create a programmer’s mindset without being on the University?
- Do companies like ours look on candidates’ education at all?
- 00:01:33 – Popularity of IT studies in Poland
- 00:05:00 – Study during workday or weekend only?
- 00:09:02 – Master’s degree
- 00:10:06 – Studies vs the market
- 00:11:51 – Creating mindset of software engineer
- 00:17:43 – Do you need general computer science knowlegde
- 00:21:47 – The problem of studies program being outdated
- 00:25:00 – IT education & recruitment
- Robert Fijałkowski
- Szymon Skórczyński
- Remigiusz Ambroziak