Video: What I learned using Kotlin
For the last few months I have been working with Kotlin and successfully released a new app written with that language in 97% of the app. It was really interesting time, I have learned a lot and in this video I would like to share some thoughts about it.
Using Kotlin for Android
Some of the points I cover in the video:
- Why I decided to try something else than Java
- How Kotlin requires a completely different mindset than using Java.
- How much time it took me to learn the new language
- The features I like the most in Kotlin that are not available in Java, for instance Lamdas
- Problems I met when using Kotlin
- My tips for Java developers who start using Kotlin
Improved build time
In the video I point out an issue about slower compilation time. JetBrains is working on that. Just after we recorded this video they posted an article about it http://blog.jetbrains.com/kotlin/2015/08/gradle-daemon-support-for-faster-compilation/ and released newer version that actually improve a lot build time.