Who we are
Aftonbladet, Sweden’s biggest news source, engaging more than 3.5 million people on a daily basis! Aftonbladet’s mission is to build Europe’s fastest and most engaging news product with future-proof technology.
We like to experiment and challenge our technology choices as much as possible to create amazing user experiences. We are humble and care a lot about our craft, always helping each other to become better at it. We test, we fail and learn.
What you will do
As a Hands-on Engineering Manager for our newest team in Krakow, you will be in the unique position of helping to build your new team from scratch; guiding them as they shape their team culture, establish their mission & vision, define their processes, and fashion a collaborative relationship with their sister team in Stockholm, Sweden. You will be accountable for the technical direction of your team, as well as growing and shaping the engineering expertise within your team.
Your team initially will help transition Aftonbladet to the Schibsted Core platform. Aftonbladet today have a similar setup as it would on the new platform (React/Redux with a Node.js API/backend) but it cannot benefit from all the features until it is fully integrated.
Expect a welcoming culture where working in collaboration between different teams deployed in different hubs is a part of our DNA.
Who you are
We think the ideal candidate is a proactive senior engineer or tech lead who acts as an informal leader in their daily setting. You should see this as an opportunity to grow in a formal engineering management role, while still not leaving the software craftsmanship behind. You can also be an engineering manager that wants to get back to the craft.
We’re looking for someone who can:
- Establish, then continuously inspire, guide, strengthen, support and challenge a high performance team of 3-4 engineers.
- Influence and drive software design discussions, drive continuous improvement, focusing on quality in your team and cross team.
- Thrive in forming relationships with other cross-functional teams to leverage knowledge and ensure consistent experiences.
- Play a key role in helping us continue to attract, develop and retain exceptional engineering talent
You’ll need to have:
- Experience with Docker, CI/CD and AWS is a plus, as well as experience within devops and an agile mindset.
- Experience applying modern software development practices to deliver business value.
- People leadership prowess, self motivation and a curiosity mindset.
- Solid experience in acting independently coupled with strong collaboration and coordination skills; especially across distributed teams.