Passionate about Big Data? Want to have an impact on the shape of the mission-critical systems while working with the newest technology? Join our Reporting team and become a Scala developer!
🔷 ABOUT THE TEAM
- As part of the Ad Engineering unit, the Reporting team is one of the teams responsible for development of the in-house advertising system, used by the internal sales organisation across Schibsted and offering direct booking of advertising campaigns to external customers.
- Our business critical systems are accounting for around 150 million Euros in advertising revenue for the Schibsted group
- Our Reporting team is responsible for Big Data processing.
- We are converting gigabytes of data, in the form of events to provide reports about campaign’s performance.
- Currently we are investing and developing extensively our Data unit, and expect a lot of R&D projects to be launched in the near future. Our current stack is based on microservice architecture written in Scala.
- The team currently consists of 4 backend developers, based in Cracow, and we are looking for two more to join it.
- The development team is fully responsible for the product from the technical point of view, being able to decide on the architectural choices, libraries used and solutions built.
- We work in Scrum. We collaborate closely with other teams within our business unit, especially from the Data area with the ad-serving solution of choice – Xandr.
🔷 ABOUT THE ROLE
- We are looking for an experienced backend developer, with a solid history of working with JVM languages and a strong motivation to learn Scala, as our current stack is written in it.
- As part of the Reporting team, you will be responsible for developing and maintaining Reporting API and working on various R&D projects together with the advertising data science and advanced analytics team.
- You will be working closely with other engineering teams both from within Schibsted and external, responsible for delivering 3rd party tools we use (p.ex. Xandr ad serving).
- In your daily work, you will be mainly focused on coding – delivering on the new requested functionalities or services, but also spend quite some time on innovation – looking into new business opportunities, researching and building POC.
- To become fully operational within your role and staying up to date, you will also have to check third-party documentation, support users, debug, maintain and operate the system as well as acquire knowledge from the ad-tech domain.
- Once you learn the system, together with the rest of the team, you will continuously work on its technical evolution, scaling and simplification.
- We hope you will be able to take an active part in deciding how to implement new features and what architectural decisions to make.
🔷 ABOUT YOU
- In your current role, you are a seasoned backend developer working with JVM languages
- You are interested in quickly deep-diving into Scala
- You are well-versed in distributed systems based on microservices architecture
- You understand and cherish functional programming principles
- You have experience working with some of those technologies: AWS, Kinesis/Kafka, Docker, Kubernetes, Spark, Airflow
- You are likely comfortable with relational and nonrelational databases in general and Postgresql, DynamoDB in particular
- You are interested in Big Data and would like to develop yourself in the Data Engineering area
- You have at least professional working proficiency in English
- Having some experience with Scala is more than welcomed (but you can also learn it with us)
- Would be nice if you have working knowledge of Python
- It would be great if you have experience working with advertising products, ad-serving in particular