Can’t decide between Scala and Kotlin? Why can’t you have both?
Join our Ads API team to work on our microservices ecosystem!
ABOUT THE TEAM
As part of the Ad Engineering unit, the Ads API is one of the teams responsible for development of the in-house advertising system, used by the internal sales organisation across Schibsted and offering direct booking of advertising campaigns to external customers. Our mission critical systems are accounting for around 150 million Euros in advertising revenue for the Schibsted group.
Our team is a key link between the booking systems and the adserver, delivering Scala-based solutions such Booking, Inventory and Publisher APIs and providing support to other parts of the Schibsted’s ad ecosystem.
The team currently consists of 3 backend developers, based in Cracow, but we are looking for at least two more to join it. The development team is fully responsible for the product from the technical point of view, being able to decide on the architectural choices, libraries used and solutions built. We collaborate closely with other product and development teams within our business unit and with the ad-serving solution of choice – Xandr.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are looking for an experienced backend developer, with a solid history of working with JVM languages – Scala ideally as our current stack is based on it, but you can only be willing to learn it.
As the part of the Ads API team, you will be responsible for developing and maintaining Booking, Inventory and Publisher APIs, working closely with other engineering teams both within Schibsted and responsible for delivering 3rd party tools we use (p.ex. Xandr ad serving).
In your daily work, you will be mainly focused on coding – delivering on the new requested functionalities or services, but also spend quite some time on innovation – looking into new business opportunities, researching and building POC.
To become fully operational within your role and staying up to date, you will also have to check third-party documentation, support users, debug, maintain and operate the system as well as acquire knowledge from the ad-tech domain.
Once you learn the system, together with the rest of the team, you will continuously work on its technical evolution, scaling and simplification. We hope you will be able to take active part in deciding how to implement new features and what architectural decisions to make.
SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS
- In your current role, you are a seasoned backend developer working with JVM languages
- You have at least some experience writing Scala/Kotlin code
- You are well-versed in distributed systems based on microservices architecture, you are also familiar with event sourcing and DDD or eager to deep dive into it
- You understand and cherish functional programming principles
- You have experience working with some of those technologies: AWS, Kinesis, AWS Lambda, Docker, Kubernetes; knowing common Scala tools and libraries such as Http4s as well as Cats framework is a plus
- You are likely comfortable with relational and non-relational databases in general and PostgreSQL, DynamoDB in particular
- You have at least professional working proficiency in English
- It would be great if you have experience working with advertising products, ad-serving in particular