Who we are
FINN.no is a hugely popular classifieds site in Norway. Our site is visited by more than a million users each day. That is one of five Norwegians checking in to find their next job, apartment, car or sofa.. or maybe just browsing and dreaming of their next vacation. We have a brand and a mission that makes a big social difference. That, and the fact that we also have a cutting edge technical organisation. We care a lot about our craft, always helping each other to become better at it.
We believe in Domain Driven Design and a Microservice Architecture. We have more than 800 micro services, and our 130 developers ship code to production more than 1300 times a week. We have a poly-cloud policy with most of our services running in GCP, but also some in AWS.
About the project and the team
You will help us create and onboard FINN’s very first team in Poland. This team will be responsible for our notifications platform pushing more than 100 million notifications each day. Many teams already use the notifications platform as an important building block to reach their business goals, and we believe its importance will only grow. You and your team will have to collaborate closely with the Product Manager, UX and other teams to understand needs and requirements. Some key technologies we use: Microservices, Java, Kotlin, Kafka, Kubernetes, GCP, Node.js and React.
The Notifications team is the first team we are setting up in Poland, but not the last. Setting up a new “remote” team is a unique challenge, and as FINN’s first engineering manager in Poland you will need to blaze new trails. You should have the ability to navigate in unknown environments and be proactive in creating a high performing team. The learning we do when creating this first team will be essential when setting up subsequent teams. It is likely that you will also play an important role when setting up and recruiting for these.
- You are a leader with passion and drive to inspire and motivate the team. We believe motivation stems from a feeling of achievements through reaching goals. Therefore you should have the ability to analyze a problem and to set up clear goals for how to solve them.
- You have a clear understanding about technology and create and maintain a high quality product based on solid technical solutions. You also know at least some of the technologies listed above.
- You support the people on your team in their career development and personal growth through regular one-on-ones and your own attitude, communication style and work ethics. Your communication is honest, clear and concise.
- We also believe trust is an important factor in great performing teams. To achieve this you should have empathy, a sense of fairness and care for your teammates well being.
- FINN has a blameless culture, encouraging people to take action. If something goes wrong, we learn from it and move on. We believe that if we never fail we don’t experiment enough. We test, we fail and learn. Also, we encourage you to have fun while doing it!