Passionate about Big Data? Do you have a significant role in funding independent digital media while working with the newest technology? Join our data science and advanced analytics team as a data scientist!
Schibsted Marketing Services (SMS) is Schibsted´s Nordic advertising organization, representing some of the strongest brands across Norway and Sweden – like VG (Norways #1 online news site), Bergens Tidende, FINN (Norways #1 marketplace), Aftonbladet (Sweden #1 online news site), SvD, TV.nu and Blocket (Sweden #1 marketplace). We have offices in Oslo, Stockholm, a significant development hub in Cracow, a growing hub in Gdansk, as well as several regional offices in Norway.
Advertising plays a central role in funding independent news media, and every day the people at Schibsted Marketing Services work hard to strengthen Schibsted´s position in the advertising markets we operate. Your work will make a difference in how well we succeed in funding independent digital media.
ABOUT THE TEAM
The advertising data science and advanced analytics team will consist of 5-6 data scientists and analysts, and will work closely with the engineering team that manages the data infrastructure for advertising. The team is recently established and there will be many opportunities to shape your experience and way of working.
The team members will also work embedded in virtual teams with business developers and operations specialists located in our markets Norway and Sweden, maintaining a close connection to the business outcomes of the work done.
In addition, team members will frequently interact with other analytical hubs in Schibsted, providing a broad network for professional training around data science, data analytics and cloud based big data computing.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are looking for data scientists to join our advertising data science and advanced analytics team.
As a data scientist you will work creating targeting models for advertising, including propensity models, similarity models and inferred user attribute models, and work closely with engineering teams to productionize these. You will support our business with machine learning models where relevant, eg. data deduplication or demographics modelling. You will work on statistical models to address current changes in the advertising industry and improve estimation of the existing metrics.
You will both work on existing code and models, but are also expected to run projects from scratch.
The initial focus of work will be to enhance the quality and flexibility of our age and gender targeting, as well as generic lookalike modeling and click optimization segmentation. The work entails both scalable standard targeting, but also more customized targeting for our largest advertisers.
The ideal candidate has a strong theoretical background and a blend of coding, machine learning, and statistics skillset.
You will work with a modern cloud-based tech stack with data exploration and processing pipelines in AWS (SageMaker, EMR, Glue, Athena) and user-facing data in Tableau but also ad hoc work with SQL databases, csv or json files, and sometimes you will even have to curl your way to the data from REST APIs.
SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS
Your core skills are likely:
- Strong quantitative skills (Understanding of statistics, optimization techniques, theory of probability).
- Ability to write clean and readable code
- Solid Python background, extensive experience in Spark for Data Analytics
- Practical experience in building data science models
- Experience with ETL Tools
- Practical experience in Machine Learning, including clustering and classification
- Experience with Amazon SageMaker, EMR or AWS Glue would be beneficial
Formal competency requirements:
- Relevant university degree
- 3+ year working experience
- Professional proficiency in English
- An opportunity to work in the undisputed most competent ad team in EU/EEA
- The opportunity to work up to three days per week from home
- A welcoming office environment every day of the week
- A professional and inspiring work environment
- Competitive compensation
- Good opportunities for competence development