Passionate about Big Data? Do you have a significant role in funding independent digital media while working with the newest technology? Join us to lead the data science and advanced analytics team!
Schibsted Marketing Services (SMS) is Schibsted´s Nordic advertising organization, representing some of the strongest brands across Norway and Sweden – like VG (Norways #1 online news site), Bergens Tidende, FINN (Norways #1 marketplace), Aftonbladet (Sweden #1 online news site), SvD, TV.nu and Blocket (Sweden #1 marketplace). We have offices in Oslo, Stockholm, a significant development hub in Cracow, a growing hub in Gdansk, as well as several regional offices in Norway.
Advertising plays a central role in funding independent news media, and every day the people at Schibsted Marketing Services work hard to strengthen Schibsted´s position in the advertising markets we operate. Your work will make a difference in how well we succeed in funding independent digital media.
ABOUT THE TEAM
The advertising data science and advanced analytics team will consist of 5-6 data scientists and analysts, and will work closely with the engineering team that manages the data infrastructure for advertising. The team is recently established and there will be many opportunities to shape your experience and way of working.
The team will work on creating targeting models for advertising, including propensity models, similarity models and inferred user attribute models, and work closely with engineering teams to productionize these. T he team will support our business with machine learning models where relevant, eg. data deduplication or demographics modelling. The team will work on statistical models to address current changes in the advertising industry and improve estimation of the existing metrics.
The team members will also work embedded in virtual teams with business developers and operations specialists located in our markets Norway and Sweden, maintaining a close connection to the business outcomes of the work done.
In addition, team members will frequently interact with other analytical hubs in Schibsted, providing a broad network for professional training around data science, data analytics and cloud based big data computing.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are looking for a team lead for our advertising data science and advanced analytics team.
You will lead a team that was recently established and there will be many opportunities to shape its way of working. The team currently consists of two data analysts and we are currently recruiting to expand the team to 5-6 people, with a mix of data scientist and data analysts.
As the manager you will be responsible for the happiness of the team and to ensure it delivers on its objectives. You will achieve this through setting clear goals and individual development paths. As the team is expected to grow you will manage recruitment, and you see this as an opportunity to bring diversity of skills and background to the team.
You and the team will have autonomy, but you are expected to help shape a strong collaboration culture as this will be necessary to successfully work with the engineering team, the business facing virtual teams and other data teams within Schibsted.
You have a clear understanding of the technology used, you will mentor and challenge each member, ensuring delivery and development at the same time. You will be responsible for technical reviews (analysis and code), and make technical decisions; as well as designing architecture, systems and methodologies for the team.
You will work with a modern cloud-based tech stack with data exploration and processing pipelines in AWS (SageMaker, EMR, Glue, Athena) and user-facing data in Tableau but also ad hoc work with SQL databases, csv or json files, and sometimes you will even have to curl your way to the data from REST APIs.
SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS
Your core skills are likely:
- You like improving processes and helping others grow; you are also a learner yourself
- In your current role, you are a team leader or in a senior role eager to take the next steps in your career
- Strong quantitative skills (Understanding of statistics, optimization techniques, theory of probability).
- Ability to write clean and readable code
- Solid Python background, extensive experience in Spark for Data Analytics
- Practical experience in building data science models
- Experience with ETL Tools
- Practical experience in Machine Learning, including clustering and classification
- Experience with Amazon SageMaker, EMR or AWS Glue would be beneficial
- Experience within ad technology or market research is advantageous, but not required
Formal competency requirements:
- Relevant university degree (preferred at least Master´s degree in STEM)
- 3+ year working experience
- Full professional proficiency in English
- An opportunity to work in the undisputed most competent ad team in EU/EEA
- The opportunity to work up to three days per week from home
- A welcoming office environment every day of the week
- A professional and inspiring work environment
- Competitive compensation
- Good opportunities for competence development